Moussaka is an aubergine-based dish popular in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Moussaka is made mostly of minced lamb, aubergines and cheese. So it is almost low-carb in its traditional form.
The only substitution we need to make is for the topping – traditionally, white or Béchamel sauce is used. Using ricotta cheese instead gets rid of the only high-carb ingredient!
- 1kg (2lbs) minced lamb (lamb is the traditional choice, but beef would work well too)
- 1kg (2lbs) aubergines (usually about 4 medium ones)
- 200g onion (1 large one)
- 400ml tinned chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 20g grated cheddar
- 1 large egg
- 30g olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp each of oregano, basil and cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 250F / Gas Mark 4
- Slice each aubergine in 4 slices lengthwise
- Measure out the oil (to control the oil guzzling aubergines are notorious for!) and brush each slice on both sides
- Grill aubergine slices on both sides until brown, set aside
- Put the rest of the oil into a frying pan, sauté chopped onion until it starts to brown
- Add mince and fry until it looks cooked
- Add crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, salt, herbs and cinnamon, sauté for further 3-5 minutes
- In a bowl, beat the egg lightly and mix with ricotta cheese and nutmeg
- Combine ingredients in layers in a baking dish – start with a layer of aubergines (no need to overlap them), followed by a layer of meat and vegetables mix
- Create 1 or 2 layers (depending on the size of your dish)
- Top the dish with a layer of ricotta mix and sprinkle with grated cheddar
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the top is brown
- Rest for 10-15 minutes before serving
In total, using the amounts above and assuming 6 servings:
- per 100 grams – 120cal, 2g net carbs, 9g fat, 9g protein
- per 1 serving (465g), assuming 6 servings are made from amounts listed above – 555 cal, 10g net carbs, 40g fat, 40g protein
2 comments on “Low-carb moussaka”
Just wondering if you can freeze this? Made half the quantity but only me so still a lot just for me!
Just tried this low gi Moussaka and it was AMAZING! I even chose all the ‘extra light’ versions of the ingredients to be that little bit more healthy and it was fantastic. New signature dish for me!