Low-carb sausage balls are perfect for breakfast or a snack. Made primarily from pork and cheese, they are about half protein and half fat, with very few carbs.
I have seen many variations of this recipe on the internet, both standard and low-carb.
The recipe is so simple and popular, I don’t know who the original author is. (If you know, please leave a comment and let us know.)
So I do not claim to have invented anything new. Just spreading the word and contributing my tips and photos to this great recipe.
The concept is simple. Sausage meat, lots of cheese, plus almond flour and eggs to hold it all together.
Strong-tasting cheese works better in this recipe than milder cheeses.
I used grated mature cheddar and parmesan shavings.
Parmesan shavings retain flavour better than pre-packed grated parmesan (the sort that looks like powder). For even better results, get a block of Parmesan and grate it yourself just before cooking.
Cheddar is a more sturdy cheese that doesn’t require as much fuss. You can get a pre-grated version without any fears.
Choosing sausage meat
Get high quality pork sausages with a high meat percentage.
Cheap sausages are often stuffed with breadcrumbs and various weird high-carb additives, up to about 20-30% of total weight. Don’t go there!
Look for a brand with at least 95% pure meat. I used Tesco Finest Pork Sausages, with 97% meat content. They have only 0.6g total carbs per 100g.
The sausages will already have some seasoning, and the cheese adds further salty notes. So you don’t have to add anything extra, if you don’t want to.
If you would like to jazz up your recipe, just add your favourite spices or herbs to the basic version.
Italian-themed herbs (oregano, basil, thyme etc) would work well. Another option to try would be Chinese-inspired flavours – maybe a touch of Chinese five spice.
Low-carb sausage balls
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 40 min
Yield: 28 sausage balls
- 1 cup (90g / 3oz) ground almonds
- 6 pork sausages (400g / 13oz)
- 1 cup (100g / 3.5oz) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (50g / 2oz) parmesan cheese, grated or as shavings
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Get the sausage meat out of the sausages, discard skins
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly – the easiest way is to use your hands
- Line a baking tray with foil or baking parchment
- Make small balls with your hands and put them on the tray. You don’t have to leave a huge amount of space between – the balls will increase in size, but only slightly. I ended up with 28 balls (7 rows of 4).
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden
- Put them out on a paper towel to soak up any excess grease
- Serve hot or cold. They will keep on the fridge for 3-4 days.
Per serving: 77 calories, 0.5g net carbs, 6g fat, 5g protein
Do you need more low-carb breakfast recipes?
Check out these great low-carb cookbooks:
2 comments on “Low-Carb Sausage Balls”
How about a print option? Didn’t see one. Thanks.
Hi Lorie, you can use your browser print option – it is optimised so you just get the text on the page, without extra graphics etc. But we will look into the possibility of adding the print button to the actual recipe – thanks for pointing this out.